Film Review: Sideways (2004)

Posted by prla1983 on October 10, 2005 • 0 commentsEmail This Post

I have a soft spot for dialogue driven movies, as I find those tend to be more about people and less about situation. I like movies where the characters are trivial in a way, completely believable, exactly like people we know, doing things that are mundane yet exciting. "Sideways" fits all these bills and that's pretty much why it is one of the best films I've seen lately.

Long story short, it tells the story of two life-long friends, Miles and Jack, who embark on a week long road trip to California's wine country just as the latter is about to get married. This is all fine and dandy, except Jack is not only looking for the first chance of getting laid, he's also trying to get Miles laid too.

What happens during the trip I'm not going to tell you as I'd be simply ruining the film for those who haven't seen it yet. Suffice to say that when the ending credits rolled I felt like I could keep on following the lives of these two for a long time. Miles and Jack could be you and me while the girls they met are perfect examples of the proverbial "girls next door".

If you like independent movies that feature interesting yet ordinary characters and are heavily based upon dialogue, then this film is definitely for you. I must admit that upon second viewing, it wasn't as exciting as the first time, but that's not to degrade my opinion of this fantastic film. The surprise factor is important and the fun is all in unraveling the adventures these two guys come across. I laughed more the second time, though.

Few films emphasize the value of true friendship these days and "Sideways" does it perfectly in its own goofy way. That a movie like this actually won an Oscar for its adaptation of a novel goes some way to prove just how good it is. Highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home