Movie Review: "Aardvark'd: 12 Weeks with Geeks" (2006)

Posted by prla1983 on May 11, 2006 • 0 commentsEmail This Post

Boy, what can I tell you?

"Aardvark'd" is supposed to be a movie documenting how four intern developers at a New York based software company create a new application in twelve weeks. In itself, this is probably already uninteresting for anyone who's not tech-inclined and has no idea how software is actually developed in the real world. Problem is, even if you fit this bill but were in fact interested in learning about it, it's certainly not in "Aardvark'd" you'll find out how it goes. Producing a movie like this, you not only alienate about 95% of the world population from the get-go. You go the whole distance and simply alienate everyone.

For this is a terrible, terrible documentary. I can't even begin to tell you how much this stuff sucks. Rarely in the past I've been so disgusted with something I see on the screen, even moreso when I spend real cash having it shipped all the way from New York. Because what we actually get to see is four dudes, some of which look like it's the first time they're getting out of their respective houses, doing just about everything except for coding and getting an application off the ground: one plants tomatoes, another covers his windows with alluminium paper because he thinks some end-of-the-world type thing outside is targetting him (incidentally this is the same guy who seems to be conditioned into saying the word "like" every couple of seconds. Go figure.), another speaks so slow he's either stoned or retarded. I could go on, but you get the idea. And don't even get me started on the soundtrack. I want a puff of whatever these guys have been smoking.

This is a real shame simply because the potential for this to have been a great innovative documentary was enormous. Instead we're left with an incredible waste of our time. I feel like Joel Spolsky - the company owner, mentor of this project and the one who's pitched so much about this DVD that he tricked me into buying it - literally sucked 80 minutes out of my life for nothing. I should be reimbursed for this.

Not even the short appearance of Paul Graham, one of the most proeminent advocates of creating your own company, makes up for it despite those incredibly short five minutes truly being the highlight of the feature.

I hate the concept of censorship, but this one shouldn't have been allowed off the press. This movie is just wrong. Just wrong. Avoid at all costs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home