Guardians Awaken (again)

Posted by prla1983 on September 05, 2005 • 0 commentsEmail This Post

Out of the progressive metal birth back in the 80s, it seems to me that the band I dig the most may just be Fates Warning (maybe along with Queensrÿche). Fates' Ray Alder is perhaps one of my favourite vocalists out there and last year's "FWX" clearly one of my favourite albums ever, so intricate and elegant it is. It was actually my first contact with Fates but soon I decided to dig deeper and the obvious standout had to be "Awaken the Guardian", the last album with John Arch on vocals. While Arch's high pitched voice doesn't make me go head over heels like it does to so many people (I very much prefer Alder's vocals) I do respect him a lot and he doesn't put me at bay at all. I instantly enjoyed "Awaken the Guardian" and was only left to rue the poor sound quality of my dated recording.

That was until today, however. I am the fortunate owner of the brand new 2005 re-mastered edition which includes not only the original album but also demos and a live DVD from Arch era. This is really a good thing, with the resurgence of metal in more mainstream circles and all, giving the chance to young and new metal fans to experience this fantastic album which pretty much kickstarted the Progressive Metal movement (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I also picked up a reissue of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", one of my favourite jazz records ever. It's been a while since I kicked back listening to some jazzy tunes and this is the ideal pretext to do so.

Currently digging Pelican's latest, "The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw", which reminds me a lot of Isis, whom I've come to known and love in the past few months. If you dig progressive and atmospheric stuff with a strong metal inclination and you don't know these bands, be sure to give these a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home