Living On The Edge (And Then Falling Off)

Posted by prla1983 on October 29, 2007 • 0 commentsEmail This Post

I was going through some single paragraph reviews of albums that interest me in the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (a dubious list as every other) and came across this fantastic bit about AC/DC's "Highway to Hell":
Upon being promoted from the band's driver to its lead singer, Bon Scott immediately came up with his singular formula for recording vocals: He downed half a bottle of bourbon, chased it with some weed and a fat rail of blow, and proclaimed, "I'm ready." Then he got the take. Scott was a force of nature, and by AC/DC's fourth studio album, he and guitarist Angus Young had become an explosive one-two punch. "You'd need several volumes of Britannica," Young noted, "just to chronicle what Bon got up to in one day." Inevitably, Scott's wicked ways caught up with him, and he was dead six months after Highway's release.

Talk about living on the edge...

Anyway, it's been a fun little trip so far and it got me to pop in Weezer's Blue Album again after so much time. This fits in perfectly with my alt/indie rock recent mood and now I'm convinced this Weezer album is definitely one of my favorite albums ever. I just love the lyrics, the guitars building up this huge wall of comfortable noise, the pop sensibility, the simple pounding drums, River's voice, everything. It's good that albums like this exist and are within reach. Somehow it makes me feel good amid chaos and that's something to cherish.

The world has turned and left me here
Just where I was before you appeared
And in your place an empty space
Has filled the void behind my face.

Ain't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home