prla's favorites of 2008

Posted by prla1983 on December 26, 2008 • 0 commentsEmail This Post

It's that time of the year again. Yes, I love lists even if most of the time they are hard to compile. Same happened this year and, I must admit, when it came to movies, it was a sad affair for yours truly. I did go the cinema more often than last year, but I wasn't particularly lucky either: walking out in the middle of "Get Smart" was one such example.

I did however see a few interesting films, some at home, others outdoors, just not enough to build a strong Top 10. "The Dark Knight", "Body of Lies", "John Rambo", "Transsiberian", "Felon" and "Traitor" were all particularly enjoyable and let's not forget 2007's tour de force "Elite Squad" which I did see only this year. Then I can only recall a string of disappointments, starting with "Burn After Reading",  "Vantage Point", "Get Smart" and even, to some degree, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" (I am now in the process of catching up with the very first season of X-Files, by the way, and this last movies crawls lower and lower in my ranking as I go about it).

The more interesting list, sadly, is the one made of movies I should have seen and for one reason or another haven't. All these titles are in my so-called "to see" list, so better late than never:
  • Son of Ranbow
  • W.
  • Appaloosa
  • Wanted
  • 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
  • Revolutionary Road
  • Slumdog Millonaire
  • The Wrestler
  • In Bruges
  • Vicky Cristina Barcelona
  • The Visitor
  • Man On Wire
  • Wall-E
  • Frost/Nixon
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Iron Man
As far as music is concerned, the only thing I'd like to say is that, again, I've listened to far less music than I would have liked to. But that's inevitable, I guess. So, without further ado, here's my favorite list of 2008 (which, again, was a great year for music):
  1. Portishead - Third
  2. Opeth - Watershed
  3. Torche - Meanderthal
  4. Russian Circles - Station
  5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!
  6. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
  7. Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
  8. Boris - Smile
  9. Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
  10. dEUS - Vantage Point
A few honorable mentions while we're at it:
  • Black Mountain - In The Future
  • Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
  • Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
  • MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
  • Mouth of the Architect - Quietly
  • Burst - Lazarus Bird
  • Helms Alee - Night Terror
And to wrap this up, some great shows I've attended this year:
  • Murdering Tripping Blues (PT)
  • Cynic (US)
  • Opeth (SWE)
  • The Ocean (GER)
  • dEUS (BEL)
  • Porcupine Tree (UK)
  • Iron Maiden (UK)
  • Switchtense (PT)
Welcome, 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home